N.B. ActivDriver is not included with the ActivInspire package. Please refer to article 1623 for ActivDriver installation instructions.
Go to http://activsoftware.co.uk/linux/repos/driver/PrometheanLtd.asc in your browser. Right click on the page and select Save Page As...
Select your Downloads folder and click Save.
Search your computer for the Software & Updates application. Open it and select the Other Software tab, then click Add.
Type the following into the box and click Add Source.
deb http://activsoftware.co.uk/linux/repos/ubuntu bionic non-oss
Select the Authentication tab and click Import Key File.
Locate the file you saved in your Downloads folder, and click OK.
Close the Software & Updates window. If prompted, click Reload.
To install ActivInspire, you need to use Synaptic Package Manager. If it is not already installed on your computer, open Ubuntu Software and search for Synaptic. Install Synaptic Package Manager. Enter your password when prompted.
Close Ubuntu Software, and open Synaptic Package Manager.
Click Search and type activinspire. Click Search.
Right click on the ActivInspire Metapackage for your language, and click Mark for Installation.
Additional packages will be displayed. Click Mark, and then click Apply at the top of the window.
Click Apply again to install ActivInspire.
If you receive an error message that mentions broken packages, please follow the instructions under Fixing broken packages from the Terminal section below.
You must restart your computer to complete the installation process.
You can launch ActivInspire from the icon on your desktop. Alternatively, search your computer for the ActivInspire application.
ActivInspire can also be uninstalled via Synaptic Package Manager or Ubuntu Software Centre. Simply highlight the package you want to uninstall click Mark for Complete Removal and then Apply.
- Make a backup: sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.backup
- Edit the sources.list file: sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
- Add the following line: deb http://activsoftware.co.uk/linux/repos/ubuntu bionic non-oss and save the file.
- Download the authentication key: cd Downloads && wget http://activsoftware.co.uk/linux/repos/driver/PrometheanLtd.asc
- Add the authentication key: sudo apt-key add PrometheanLtd.asc
- Update the repo cache: sudo apt update
- Install ActivInspire’s packages for your preferred language: sudo apt install activ-meta-en-gb (or activ-meta-en-us, activ-meta-fr, etc.)
- If you are asked to install other packages, including help, resources and handwriting recognition, enter Y. Otherwise, they will be installed automatically.
You may receive an error in relation to broken packages. If you receive this error, please follow the steps below:
- Install Aptitude from the terminal if needed: sudo apt-get install aptitude
- Run the following terminal command: sudo aptitude install activ-meta-en-gb (or activ-meta-en-us, activ-meta-fr, etc.)
- Follow any onscreen prompts and accept any changes if you are happy with them.